Search This Blog

Monday, August 8, 2011

Back to School

Summer is kicking my butt! One week left until school starts and the usual chaos has ensued. All four of my daughters are starting new schools. Three in the same charter school and the fourth will be home schooled for up to a year or until there's another opening in the charter. We have back packs loaded with new school supplies. I spent an afternoon writing their names on every pencil and crayon.

Ride day at the fair is tomorrow and I'm doing laundry all day trying to get five matching green shirts clean. I've also begun what will likely be six weeks worth of canning, with an experimental batch of no added pectin blackberry jam. I will not post recipes. There are plenty online already, and I'm no home economist. My canned goods got 2nd place at best in the fair competition.

Yesterday was the Califonia Fourteenth District PTA training. I got to learn how wrong we have been running our local PTA in the absence of adequate willing trained officers. Wish I had gone last year. Now I just need to redo my financial reports and try to assemble the minutes from all our meetings. I promised to carry on at my kids old school until last years issues are resolved.

Then it's just a bunch of dental appointments, registering for fall junior bowling leagues, getting homeschool set up, and grocery shopping for the next month or so. Our kitchen stock changes when school starts. Less milk, more portable snacks. I'm sure there's something I'm forgetting, but that's what online calendar syncing is for. It's a wonderful tool for moms.

A week ago I interviewed for a part time job, and it went well, but I didn't get it. I want that job, and I'm going to apply again. But I can't help being a little glad I don't have it yet. Mothering is still full-time for me. And there are always plenty of volunteer opportunities for getting out of the house.

I thought I would be childless this school year, with my youngest starting kindergarten. I'm kind of glad I'll be keeping the second grader home. It's time to reconnect with my sweet middle child. She's easy to work with and I'll still get a lot more done than with the baby home.

Life is insane sometimes, but one day at a time and an Elastigirl like measure of flexibility helps a mom get through it. Good luck with your back to school season. Try not to look at the whole to do list at once and you'll be fine. Breathe...again...see you on the other side!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk back. I'm a mom. I can handle it.