Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Arguing Religion

There are a lot of annoying religious posts and subsequent arguments online and elsewhere.  I am a believer, but I don't see the purpose of arguing about it.  It wasn't a scripture or an argument that convinced me of the reality of God through Christ Jesus.  It was my experience of him.  I would not expect you to be won over by an argument or even the testimony of my experiences, as I am not in any way deterred from my faith by the arguments of others who oppose it.  Jesus disciples went about preaching the good news, and healing all who were sick.  The Bible also says it's the goodness of God that draws people to repentance.  The good news was accompanied by experiences of healing and goodness from God.  Not arguments.  When Paul made his arguments before the Roman leaders he almost convinced them...almost, because an argument just isn't enough.

It is entirely possible that my experiences are a fabrication of my mind, a placebo.  Something I consider highly unlikely, or I would not have embraced them, but still possible.  It is also possible that my experiences are real, but what I call God is an alien life form we have yet to comprehend.  That alien abduction stories and angelic visitations are the same thing from a different mindset.  

It's possible that what we call spirit is an elemental force we are about as able to comprehend as a dog is color.  That the humans who perceive things and beings of a spiritual nature have simply received an evolutionary adaptation that may yet become further developed and more widespread, if we don't lock all these people up in looney bins where they're unlikely to procreate first.

It is not possible from a scientific perspective to prove that God does not exist, anymore than it is possible to prove that aliens do not exist.  We simply have no way of ascertaining what we don't know.  It is an unscientific hypothesis.  That is why it baffles me that most of the scientific community have closed themselves off to the possibility of God.  Efforts to prove the existence of God may presently be pretty pathetic from an educated perspective, but proving his non-existence is impossible.

In any case, I have determined that I lose nothing by my faith.  That faith, in itself without anything that may come after, still adds to my quality of life.  That if God is my imaginary friend, I'm quite content with my delusion.  If my experiences are a combination of coincidence and placebo, then I am fortunate indeed.  That as a person who is interested in science, being open to the possibility of God as a future discovery allows me to see more possibilities in the interpretation of new scientific data than does denying that possibility.  There is very little certainty in science.

There is no reason for you to believe as I do until you experience God for yourself.  The Bible says that if you seek him you will find him.  Until you do, to adopt an intellectual belief in God would be a meaningless act.  So why argue about it?  Seek or ignore, as you wish.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk back. I'm a mom. I can handle it.