Search This Blog

Monday, September 30, 2013

Learning Differences

Every child is different, no matter how much DNA they have in common. Not only do they have different strengths and weaknesses, interests and opinions, but they think differently. I mean, the functional processing of their brains is drastically different. Consider how, as toddlers, they determined which is the girls bathroom:

Child one is very visual. She told me one had a picture of a girl and the other a boy.

Child two is an early reader and gifted with language. She told me one said "Men" and the other "Women" or some variation thereof.

Child three is mathematical. She told me that one had a triangle on the door and the other a circle.

Child four is a social ringleader and creative problem solver. She told me which was the door her sister went through.

What we can see so clearly at the age of three, we shouldn't lose track of when it becomes less transparent in later years. These four children will always see the world differently. They will always learn differently. And each of them found their way into the right bathroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk back. I'm a mom. I can handle it.